BalanceDruids are the RDPS spec of the druid tree. This spec should be (more than) viable for levelling your Druid all the way to 80. However, you will have to rely on cloth gear for the most part, as caster leather gear is extremely rare until Outland. Given that, you may want to level as Feral until at least 40 (when you get MoonkinForm, or « Boomkin« , as some refer to) or even 60 (when the gear selection becomes more appropriate). If you do, check out the Druid Feral 1-80 Leveling Talent Build (3.3.5). The Feral talent build is also overall faster to level (as it has nearly no downtime at all), and most would even claim it to be a lot easier.
Take whatever weapons provide the best DPS you can find (probably a staff or 2-handed mace). You’ll be doing some melee damage for a while.
– Until you get Moonfire, spam Wrath until the target is in melee range.
– Once you get Moonfire, cast it after you’ve launched your first Wrath. (Wrath takes time to reach its target while Moonfire hits immediately. Your first Wrath will hit the target as he starts runing towards you.)
– Use Typhoon to knock approaching mobs back or to pull several at once. Warning: The range of Typhoon is bigger than the animation (sometimes there might be no animation whatsoever) might suggest. Practice using it a little before taking it to the « real deal ».
« Heirlooms bind to the account, as opposed to an individual character. This means they can be mailed (even after been used) to any character that shares the same account and server, including those of opposing faction.«
The gear listed below are just suggestions. There are plenty of other choices out there. If possible, try to upgrade your gear every 10 levels or so.
From 1-57, you’ll probably be wearing cloth gear since there isn’t much in the way of spell leather in Vanilla WoW. The biggest exception is the Embrace of the Viper set that drops from the Wailing Caverns instance. After that, the next major pieces of caster leather are the Ironfeather set.
Once you get to Outland, there are plenty of pieces of spell leather. The first you should be able to get are pieces of the Wild Draenish set.
Weapons Your caster weapons are limited to one-handed maces, daggers, fist weapons and staves. If you’re using a mace, dagger or fist weapon, make sure to get an off-hand item.Lvl 18 – Emberstone Staff Lvl 18 – Staff of the Blessed Seer
Once you hit Outland, you’ll find several upgrades available through quests. If at all possible, get a group to do the Ring of Blood quest line at 65 for the reward. At 75, do the Amphitheater of Anguish.
*Cure Poison can be skipped in favor of Abolish Poison at level 26 but still has some use in PvP (apply Abolish for the tick and spam Cure to get poisons in between ticks).
**The Aquatic Form quest is now optional, you can train this form directly from the Druid trainer.
*** The Swift Flight Form can be trained at level 71 but the quest is still worth doing if you have the time to unlock Anzu.
– ControlFreak : ControlFreak is a lightweight addon that allows you to set a target for your CC spells, as well as monitoring their status to let you know if they break the cc or take damage. You can also re-cast your CCs without actually switching targets.
– Decursive : This handy addon will allow you to remove any negative effect you are capable of removing from any member of your group with a simple click, without having to target them – Range Display : A light addon that shows the distance between you and your target (mob/npc/player). Very useful when you need to know exactly when you are in max range for a Wrath/Starfire spam. Easily configurable as well. – Quartz : Considered the best spell casting bar addon, Quartz gives you hundreds of awesome features, including latency and range (to your target) tracking, while still staying relatively lightweight. MUST HAVE for casters.